Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Berries and Whipped Cream


Valentine's day is around the corner, which for me means lots and lots of chocolate. Yes I am sure to get some (hint...hint), but mostly I mean chocolate desserts that I will be making. This flourless cake is one of them. Silky, rich, and very very chocolatey. I serve it with whipped cream and berries to balance the richness out.

Flourless chocolate cake is one of my basics and part of my gearing up for the week ahead. It requires dark chocolate- use the best quality you can find. I use Callebaut and it makes for a deliciously dark chocolate cake. The cake will keep in the refrigerator, tightly covered for 1 week.



Flourless Chocolate Cake

24 oz. dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 lb butter (3 sticks)
1/2 cup sugar
8 eggs
1/4 cup Brandy
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 oz. white chocolate, melted after cake cools- for garnish

1. butter a 9" springform pan, line bottom with parchment and butter parchment. Wrap pan in aluminum foil and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Over a bain marie, melt chocolate and butter. whisk together until smooth, then set aside to cool for a bit.

3. In a mixer bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy- about 10 minutes on high speed. Lower speed to low and gradually add chocolate mixture to eggs. Add brandy and vanilla, and mix until just incorporated. Remove bowl from mixer stand, with a rubber spatula lighlty fold batter just to be sure it's homogenized. (sometimes there is chocolate at the bottom of the bowl which has not mixed in).

4. Pour batter into springform, then place pan in a roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with hot water (I use the water use the already warm bain marie water), fill pan to half way up the saide of the springform pan. Carefully place in the oven and bake 45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, unmold, drizzle white chocolate on top and serve with whipped cream and berries.

15 comments:

  1. wow! This looks sinfully delicous! Perfect for Valentines day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely decadent. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. why! why! did I give up chocolate for lent. I'll have to save this for after easter, it looks too good to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake looks wonderfully rich and sinful -- in other words, perfect for Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A flourless cake with berries AND drizzled with white chocolate? A girl after my own heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow, wow!
    That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cake looks nice and moist and decadently chocolaty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really wonderful, does it really not have any added sugar? I am always looking for desserts my pre-diabetic husband can have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deborah, unfortunately it does have sugar- I had left it out. But I did just email you the way to make it without.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this for my husband for Valentines day. It was great and we made it without the sugar. I am sure it is even better with the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this for passover and it was completely divine! I even skipped the brandy and didn't mess it up. I also used more dark chocolate for the drizzle on the top (because I'm a monochromatic girl) and it was so gorgeous - a real hit. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm excited to make this with our very own luscious, home raised eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking of making a "Mayan" flourless chocolate cake with cinnamon and cayenne pepper for my birthday. Would adding a tsp of each to the recipe work?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...