Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Lime Caper Vinaigrette

While trying to decide what to post next, my friend Laura actually requested a vinaigrette recipe to complement the crab cakes. So I decided to give her a simple recipe that doesn't call for too many special ingredients she may not readily have. Which makes me wonder what she actually does have in her pantry...as a law student who is learning to cook I doubt it's too diverse, but this should fit the bill.

A few notes-- use fresh lime juice, bottled lime juice is always a no no(there is only one exception for me and that's a whole other subject). I use French Sal de mer which can be purchased at Williams Sonoma, It's moister and tastes much much better than either regular table salt or Kosher salt. The chili powder blend I use comes from Dean and Deluca, I purchase it two tins at a time since I have to go through the trouble of ordering it by post. Capers- I could write a whole post just on those, but I will refrain and tell you 2 important things, the smaller the better and those preserved in salt are better than capers in brine. OK...that's it I think, now here's the recipe:

Lime and Caper Vinaigrette

2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons capers
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon chili powder blend
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar

Makes 1 cup

In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, parsley, 1 Tablespoon water and Tabasco. Stir in capers, red pepper flakes salt, pepper, chili powder blend and sugar. The vinaigrette will keep covered in the refrigerator for 2 days.

1 comment:

  1. vinegrette sounds wonderful---pmay add dill and mayo for smoked salmon dip!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...