Sunday, November 25, 2007

Meyer Lemon Shortbread Cookies



Two years ago I planted a Meyer lemon tree in my back yard, last year it produced four lemons. But this year, my little tree must have really had a good spring and summer because I have more lemons than I can count! They are not only beautiful to look at as they grace just about every fruit bowl all over my house, they are delicious as well.

I baked bread this afternoon and was looking for a small and easy project to make while the bread was rising, so I came up with these little shortbreads. It worked out really well since I needed the oven on to warm up the kitchen a bit so the bread would rise correctly. I used the Joy of Cooking shortbread recipe and added Meyer lemon juice and zest. Perfect day for it...it's nasty out, raining and a tornado watch, but I am sitting here cozily with my cup of tea and cookies.

MEYER LEMON SHORTBREAD COOKIES

10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 1/4 sticks)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
additional sugar for sprinkling tops

1. In large mixer bowl beat butter and sugars, salt and lemon zest until very fluffy and well blended.

2. Gradually sift in flour and mix well. Sprinkle lemon juice over dough and lightly knead until dough holds together. If the dough is too dry, add a few more drops lemon juice, the dough should just come together- do not over moisten it.

3. Press into an 8" x 8" pan and pierce deeply with a fork in a decorative pattern. Bake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes or until just slightly darker at the edges. Turn out of the pan while still warm and cut into bars and sprinkle with sugar. Allow the cookies to cool completely on a rack.

4 comments:

  1. I am so envious of your meyer lemon tree. I used to make shortbread when I could get some meyer lemon from the grocery store. But nothing beats having the fresh fruit from the tree whenever you need one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look so good! I love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love shortbread cookies . . . more so if it had a hint of lemon . . . Meyer lemon at that! I'll try to bake this very soon. Also, I still have this lavender shortbread cookie that I have yet to bake. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these for my 6th grade daughter's cookie exchange at school. Yum. The lemon flavor is very subtle -- I'll use more rind next time, but you're talking to a girl who used to suck lemons when she was a kid! By the way, just found your blog and am making the Caribben black beans and rice tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...