Sunday, December 23, 2007

Palmiers


Palmiers, also known as Elephant Ears are my favorite cookie to accompany my cafe au lait. I only drink coffee when it's cold out, as I don't like hot beverages when it's hot and this morning finally--it turned cold. Yesterday it was 82 degrees and I was wearing flip flops, today I was totally bundled up! So I woke this morning and decided to make palmiers to have with my coffee. Making palmiers is quite a simple task, that is- if you use pre-made puff pastry. (yes, I cheat).

A few notes: watch them carefully, they burn quickly. When turning them mid-way through baking, make sure you wear an oven mitten...the sugar is hot hot. I now have a pretty big bo-bo as a result of not wearing the oven mitten and using a towel instead. Lastly, transfer the Palmiers to a rack right after baking, so they don't continue to brown and stick to the pan.

Palmiers

1 package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

Set oven to 450 degrees

Allow puff pastry to sefrost for 30 minutes or until pliable.

1. On a clean surface sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar. Place one sheet of puff pastry over sugar and sprinkle with another 1/2 sugar and 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon and spread over top. With a rolling pin roll into a 10 x 14 inch rectangle, pressing sugar into pastry as evenly as possible.

2. Place the rectangle of dough in front of you horizontally. Visually mark the center of the dough and roll each side as tightly as possible to meet in the center. (it's difficult for me to explain so please refer to the photo of the cookies). You should end up with a long roll.

3. Slice into crosswise 1/2 inch pieces and carefully transfer to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, placing about 2 inches apart. Bake for 6 minutes or until lightly browned, then turn palmiers over and bake about 3-4 minutes longer. Watch them carefully after you turn them. The Palmiers should be golden brown. Transfer to a rack to cool.

2 comments:

  1. I love these too, but I've never made them myself. Thanks for the recipe, I've never thought of making them:) But...how much does this package of dough weigh? I'm a bit curious:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the package weighs 1 pound. Soon when I have more time, I will make puff pastry from scratch...I'm sure they will be extra good that way!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...