Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Basic Home-Made Mayonnaise


There is no comparison between home-made mayonnaise and store bought. Now that doesn't mean I don't ever use the store bought variety, I do- but when I have the time (and the energy) I would rather make my own. By now you may be wondering why I am posting about mayonnaise- well, I am making Goat Gouda Pimento and I am posting about it in parts.

You can flavor the mayonnaise with just about anything you like, this is a basic recipe- like a blank canvas. These are some suggestions: fresh herbs of any kind, roasted garlic, a pinch of dry mustard, a little sherry vinegar, sun-dried tomatoes, capers, and many many more. This is also my base for making dips for crudites, mixing the mayonnaise, some herbs, capers and lemon with either yogurt or sour cream. My favorite is flavored with a pinch of dry mustard, sea salt and a little fresh Thyme.

I like to make mayonnaise with a good whisk and a bowl. Call me weird, but I actually like the process. I specially like the fact that you start with two egg yolks and end up with fluffy creamy mayonnaise. If you are not inclined to make it by hand, a blender or food processor will work well. Add the oil in a steady slow stream while the motor is running.

Home-Made Mayonnaise

2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. In a large non-reactive bowl (do not use copper or aluminum because it will discolor the mayonnaise due to the acid), combine egg yolks, salt and lemon juice; whisk until light.

2. While whisking start adding the oil a few drops at a time, when mayonnaise starts to thicken you may add the oil in a steady slow stream. Make sure the oil is getting incorporated as you whisk. Continue to whisk and add oil until all oil is used and mayonnaise is light and very fluffy. After the mayonnaise rests for a bit it will thicken a little more.

3. Mayonnaise will keep covered, in the refrigerator for 1 week.

3 comments:

  1. A few years ago I started growing lemon thyme in my herb garden. It is perfect for mayonnaise, and pretty good with fish dishes and potatoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had the courage to make my own mayo... I should definitely give it a go, Katia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia-you're right, lemon Thyme would be great in the mayo. I'll have to plant some this year.

    Patricia- you should make mayonnaise, it really is so easy. and fast-10 min. max.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...