Friday, February 15, 2008

Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Peppers


This is a great pasta dish, the Italian sausage gives the dish a lot of flavor. The rigatoni is robust and rustic, I finish cooking the pasta in the tomato sauce to impart more flavor to it. The dish is a little spicy, which I love, the heat can be adjusted to your taste by the amount of red pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper added.

When sauteing, keep the vegetables moving by stirring and scraping the pot. Undercook the pasta by a couple of minutes and add it to the simmering sauce, it will finish cooking there and take on all the flavors of the dish. This is good dish for a weeknight meal, specially when short on time- it comes togther in 20-30 minutes.



Rigatoni with Italian Turkey Sausage and Peppers

1 lb. box Rigatoni Pasta
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
2 Italian sausage links, sliced
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup chopped fresh Basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh Oregano
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (about 1 teaspoon pepper)
1/3 cup Marsala
1/4 cup sugar

1. Cook rigatoni in boiling water until almost al dente. ( if you start boiling the water at the time you start the sauce, the pasta will be ready at the same time the sauce is- drain the pasta and place it in the sauce to finish off).

2. In a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat, heat olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onions and bell peppers and saute until onions start to brown around the edges. Add sausage, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, continue cooking and stirring until sausage is lightly browned.

3. Add crushed tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes longer, scraping the sides of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook over low heat. When pasta is ready, drain and add to the sauce. Turn heat to simmer, and continue to cook for an additonal 5 minutes. Serve with fresh Basil and shaved Parmesan cheese.

8 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I have a similar recipe but it is more time consuming so I can't wait to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just the kind of dish I like to fix when my pantry is full and the herb garden is giving us beautiful basil. I'm bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so good -- I've featured it as my daily dish on my blog (hope that's alright...I've linked it back to you, of course)
    - Jessie -
    ps. lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. Now I'm craving pasta and sausage. Nice to find your blog! I got here from Kevin at Closet Cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the simplicity of this recipe. I am going to make it later this week

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this...and OMG is it good! Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually make mine somewhat similar to this. It's been awhile and I have left over peppers from a barbq today, so I think I will give your version a try. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...