Monday, February 18, 2008

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies


After making frilly cookies for the last couple of weeks, I was craving something chunky and easy. These white chocolate macadamia cookies are crunchy, if softer cookies are more your style, underbake them by a minute or two and remove them from the cookie sheet soon after they come out of the oven. I took these to a crawfish boil today and they were a hit- everyone wants something sweet after eating lots of salty crawfish. (specially me)

Softened butter contributes to the crunchyness of the cookie, microwave the butter for 10 seconds intervals if it's coming straight out of the refrigerator. After adding the egg and vanilla, reduce the speed of the mixer so the dough does not get over mixed. Cashews are a good substitution for macadamia nuts if you prefer. Use the best quality white chocolate available, I use Callebeut and cut it into chunks with a sharp knife. Toasting the nuts at 350 F for 10 minutes heightens their flavor, just be sure to let them cool before adding them to the dough. Bake six cookies at a time on the middle rack of the oven, make sure to put cookies on a cool pan for each batch. The recipe makes 15-16 very large cookies.

White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies

1/4 lb. butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups chopped white chocolate
1 cup toasted macadamia nuts

Preheat oven to 325 F

1. Place softened butter in mixer bowl,with paddle attachment, beat until light and fluffy. Add sugar and continue to beat at medium-high speed for 3 minutes, scraping the side of the bowl until incorporated.

2. Add egg and vanilla and beat for 2 additional minutes on med-low speed.

3. Sift flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder into a large bowl. Add to the butter mixture and beat on low until dough comes together. Add chocolate and nuts and blend well.

4. With clean hands, make balls of dough approximately the size of a golf ball or a little larger. Lay on parchment lined sheets and flatten out to a 2 inch circle. Place six cookies per cookie sheet (3 inches apart) and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cookies with a large spatula and transfer to a cooling rack. Store cookies in a covered container.

16 comments:

  1. Katia, I'm printing this recipe as I type this comment - I have never tried white chocolate macadamia cookies and I have a bag of macadamia at home, in need to be used... I'll make these on the weekend, tks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! This is my favorite kind of cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! These are my favorite cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like whoa. I love this color combo, and these look baked to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not crazy about macadamias, so I was all set to write off this recipe -- until you said cashews could be substituted. Now I'm hooked -- my favorite nuts, with white chocolate chunks. Oh, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is always a great combo, I just wish macadamia nuts weren't so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this picture and since macadamia nuts are my fav, I am sure to love the cookies too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love macadamias! Great choice for a comfort cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favorite cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I was just thinking about macadamia cookies the other day. I'm going to be making these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. was googling for a white macadamia chocolate cookie recipe and came across yours. looks good. will definitely try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friend and I just baked these tonight, and WOW...can I just say they were the best cookies I've ever tasted! They were so fabulous! : ) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've cooked this for parties and people's birthdays. They've been a hit! Thanks for the wonderful recipe. I substitute the macadamia nuts with cashews like you suggested. Sometimes I have left over chocolate, so I melt it down and drizzle it over the cookies. Makes them look wonderful! Very tasty~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've made these about 6 times and they are my husband's favourite biscuits! I'm actually making them now with the kids. Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...