Monday, November 26, 2007

Tender Potato Bread (Daring Bakers Challenge)


I am always driven by a challenge, it's what keeps me going! Once I have one, chances are you will have my full attention. Being motivated by a challenge is not always a good thing, I sometimes make more trouble for myself because of it...life can just be simple sometimes (ok- repeat to self 100 times!) The good news is, I am very excited to have found a new outlet for my challenges-- by joining The Daring Bakers. Every month brings a new baking challenge, everyone uses the same recipe and this month it was Potato Bread. I am not an experienced bread baker, so it was a challenge indeed. This month was a little busy, so the pressure was on as I baked it yesterday...the day before it was due! (this is so unlike me, as I'm more than a little OCD, but I procratinated early on, then later in the month I really did not have much of a choice).



The instructions were to follow the recipe exactly as it is written, which would normally be my first challenge, But since I am not an avid bread maker, that really wasn't much of a problem. I was more scared to make a mistake by not doing exactly as it said so I followed all directions. The shapping of the bread was left up to each baker, so I made a loaf, some rolls and foccacia.

I had most fun with the Foccacia, I layered it with olive oil, a very nice crumbled Parmegiano Romano, oven roasted grape tomatoes, black Cerignola olives, capers, Rosemary, and sauteed garlic; I then sprinkled sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. It made a very tasty Foccacia which will probably soon be served at the restaurant.





With the loaf, I made Serrano Ham sandwiches. Mixed a little roasted tomato chutney with home-made mayonnaise then put some slices of goat cheese Gouda and lettuce and tomato.

The rolls were very nice, but next time I will probably make them in a different shape, or in brioche pans. Once they were in the oven I thought they were a little too predictable, but it was too late. Nevertheless, they were quite good while still warm slathered with butter laced with Sal de Mer. After eating all this bread I now need to go for a very long and overdue run. After stuffing myself on Thanksgiving, we went for a walk on the golf course and my friend Ale, pointed out my new running shoes were so clean and white they glowed in the dark...I do believe it's time to put them to some use and dirty them up!

The recipe for the potato bread can be found here. I can't wait to find out what the Challenge is for December!

20 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Daring Bakers! Your first challenge looks great and your bread has great crumb and crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous breads! I can just imagine how delicious it taste, serving with your homemade mayonaise and various cheeses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a successful first DB Challenge!

    I ♥ that focaccia, and I can imagine that it must have been so delicious.

    Julius from Occasional Baker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your focaccia does indeed look very nice and so do the loaf and rolls. Congratulations on completing your first challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your focaccia looks *fabulous*! Congratulations, and welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow... what a great shape. Is that a pin wheel. It looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks fabulous! Grats on our first challenge =D!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bread looks lovely and tasty! Well done!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to the next challenge, this one really made me step outside my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats on completing your first challenge! Your bread looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! Your bread is beutiful! I have had my eye on the Daring Bakers Challenge for a while now. It looks like fun. I am going to wait until after the holidays and hopefully will be joining the challenge myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gads, that bread is beautiful. That little spiraly thing is the prettiest of them all - is that focaccia too? I love it. I mean it's so pretty I'd keep it and take naps with it - that is how adorable it is. Excellent job!

    -jen at use real butter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your foccacia looks amazing!! Great job on your first challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to the DBers!

    Your focaccia is brilliant! Full of colors and it looks quite tasty. Great job!

    I'm with you, I cannot wait until December's challenge.

    Christina ~ She Runs, She Eats

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on joining and on completing your first DB challenge! Your bread looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That shape is beautiful! This is your first challenge? WOW, you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a fantastix job and the focaccia would be great at your restaurant indeed!Love the pinwheel/sunflower form. Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your little focaccia looks adorable! Wonderful job! Congrats on a successful first challenge. And I hope you dirty up your shoes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your focaccia is fabulous and your bread looks delightful. Lovely job...you should put this in the restaurant.

    Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...