Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Potato Pancakes topped with Apple-Thyme Sauce

I love pancakes of any kind (as evident here), but these potato pancakes are at the top of the list, (yes, in my head there is a list). I top these with apple-thyme sauce and creme fraiche- a very tasty combination- if I do say so myself! I set my oven at 200 F and place the pancakes on a greased cookie sheet to keep them warm while I make the whole batch.

NOTES: Most of the time I use Granny Smith apples, but this time I combined them with Honeycrisp apples and the sauce came out better than ever and the texture improved because not all the apples turned into mush. If you don't have creme fraiche, use sour cream instead. Generously season the potatoes- the sauce is rather sweet, so the salt and pepper will balance everything out. The applesauce will keep in the refrigerator, covered, up to one month.

Potato Pancakes

1 medium onion, chopped
4 cups grated baking potatoes (peeled)
2 large eggs
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
sea salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
2 Tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
6 Tablespoons butter
Apple-Thyme sauce (recipe follows)
Creme Fraiche

1. Peel and grate potatoes with box grater or food processor. Place grated potatoes in a colander and rinse with cool water. Add onions to colander and set aside to drain.

2. In a large mixing bowl lightly beat the eggs, then whisk in the flour until mixed well.

3. With a paper towel pat the potatoes and onions until fairly dry. Add Creole seasoning and parsley, then season generously with salt and pepper.

4. Combine potato mixture with the beaten eggs and mix with your hands until incorporated, (do not over-work).

5. In a large heavy bottomed skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over moderately high heat until butter melts. Drop 1/4 cup portions of potato mixture into pan and flatten with spatula to form 3 inch pancakes. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Place in the oven to keep warm. (I fry 3 pancakes at a time).

6. Using paper towels, carefully wipe out pan. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and oil and repeat.


Apple-thyme Sauce

4 cups chopped tart apples (see notes above)
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple juice
1 large Cinnamon stick
2 teaspoons fresh Thyme

1. Peel, core and roughly chop apples. In a medium stainless steel (or other non-reactive) sauce pan combine apples, sugar, Cinnamon stick and apple juice. Simmer for ten minutes stirring every now and then to make sure sugar dissolves. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.

2. Add 1 teaspoon Thyme and simmer for 5 minutes longer. The applesauce may appear to not be all the way done, but it continues to cook while cooling. I like the sauce to have a chunky consistency. Just before serving add the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme.

1 comment:

  1. I love your pictures! I have a pancake loving house so I will definitely be trying this recipe out!

    Also, I got here by way of the DB's - just in case you are tracking.

    ~Lewis
    TableBread

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...