Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Currant Scones and Lemon Curd


Did you think I forgot about the blog? I did not, far from it, but life gets in the way- actually not life...just work! But, do not misunderstand me, I feel ever so blessed and lucky to have the business I do, it's just at this time of the year I would rather be at home listening to Christmas carols and baking cookies! Sunday I have earmarked to do just that. In the meantime here is my scone and lemon curd recipe. I've been making it for quite a long time...it's from my tea room days and on Monday I had a catering which involved afternoon tea. The tea was lovely, made me miss serving tea for about 3 seconds- then I remembered why I stopped and got right on over it. The scones freeze very well, I actually make them to freeze, then pull them out as needed.

The lemon curd I made with the last of my Meyer lemons and it's very yummy. I was sort of sad I used the last of my home grown lemons, but I know where to get more. Turns out my dad thought that the citrus would spoil if the temperature got below freezing, (they don't- it has to be in the teens to spoil the fruit), so he cut all his lemons- and he had tons of them, juiced them and froze the juice. This is not something I would actually do, I like to look at the lemons just as much as consuming them, but it does sound like I need to raid his freezer- SOON!

CURRANT SCONES

4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling tops
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks butter (12 tablespoons)
1 1/2 cups dried currants
4 eggs, plus 1 extra for egg wash
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream

makes 2 dz. large scones

Preheat oven to 400 F

1. In a large heavy mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt with a whisk. Add butter and mix with a pastry blender until crumbly and coarse. Mix in the currants.

2. in a small mixing bowl mix eggs and cream with a whisk. Add to flour mixture and stir until it just comes together...do not overmix. Place dough on a floured surface and knead a few times.
Roll out to 3/4" thickness and cut out shapes.

3. Place scones on a greased cookie sheet. Lightly beat additional egg and brush tops of scones. Generously sprinkle sugar over scones and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks, if freezing place in plastic bags when completely cool.

LEMON CURD

1/2 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
6 egg yolks
2 tablespoons lemon zest
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 lb. butter (1 stick)

1. Combine all ingridients except for the butter in a non-reactive (stainless steel) heavy saucepan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. for about 8- 10 minnutes or until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, whisk in butter. Transfer into a clean bowl and lay a piece of plastic wrap over top- this will avoid a skin from forming. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

p.s. This lemon curd can be used a filling for lemon tarts with meringue topping or fruit tarts.

3 comments:

  1. Freshly baked scones and homemade lemon curd?? Where do I seat, please?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scones are beautiful! And I could eat lemon curd with just a spoon - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look beautiful, I cant wait to try them. And homemade lemon curd, yum. Your so lucky to have a lemon tree!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...