Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Citrus Cakeletes


I haven't been doing much posting lately as a result of a short little trip to Virginia to visit my dear friend Sharman. But, I am back, totally energized and full of ideas for the blog and work. I came up with citrus cakelet idea after looking through one of Sharman's Martha Stewart cookbooks which I fell in love with. She was sweet enough to send the book home with me, so today I set out to make the cakes. The recipe originally called for Strawberry jam, I substituted orange marmalade and added the zest of a beautiful bright orange tangelo I found at the market. For the icing, I used the juice of a couple of tangelos mixed with some powdered sugar.

Citrus Cakeletes

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1- 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon finely grated tangelo, mandarin, or orange zest
6 tablespoons Orange marmalade or preserves of your choice

6 tablespoons Tangelo or Orange juice
1-1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted

1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed for 3-5 minutes.

2. Add egg yolks, one at a time, blending well between each one; beat until incorporated.

3. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add flour and milk to butter mixture and beat until incorporated.

4. Transfer the batter to a large bowl, wash the mixer bowl, then in the same mixer bowl beat egg whites until fluffy at medium high speed.

5. Fold a little bit of the egg whites into the batter at a time until incorporated. Grease and flour a jumbo muffin tin (6). divide half of the batter evenly in the tin, add a tablespoon of preserves or marmalade then cover with additional batter. Make sure the preserves are completely enclosed in the batter so it does not leak out.

6. Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Cool on a rack. When muffins are completely cooled through, combine sugar and tangelo juice and spread on tops.

6 comments:

  1. Katia, you're back in grand style! These are a dream. I love citrus flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are way cute, and I adore anything citrus, especially cakelets...

    I love the word "Cakelets"! hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I think they'd be delicious without the filling too, though I'm thinking that the lemon curd we made last week would be a lovely filling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lemon curd sounds perfect for these Lydia! Maybe served with some fresh strawberries too- great for Easter.

    Thank you everyone for your nice comments! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the citrus swap was a perfect idea! What a beautiful little cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katia-

    So cute, I love the word cakeletes!
    They look delicous- great for Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...