Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Creole Polenta with Fresh Corn


Yes, I know...2 weeks since my last post, lets just say things have been a little crazy. But, I think I will amply make-up for it with this little treat. When I make Shrimp creole, I always double the recipe for the sauce and freeze half of it before adding the shrimp. I do this because it freezes beautifully and I have found many ways to use it. Sometimes I heat the sauce and just add fresh shrimp, but this dish is one of my favorites- and oh so very comforting. I am not usually a casserole making type of girl, mostly I think they taste like mush- but this is my one true exception. If you must- it could be made in a casserole dish. I use a springform pan so it's easy to unmold and I get prettier looking pieces. An 8 inch pan will make a taller torte while a 9 inch pan will be just a little flatter- both work well, use what you have.

When adding the second layer of polenta to the pan, be sure to spoon it lightly and evenly so it does not get all mixed into the sauce. If it does- it's OK, it just looks better the other way.

1 ear fresh corn
1/2 cup chopped shallots
2 cups polenta
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
2 t butter
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
2 1/2 cups Creole sauce- recipe found here

1. In a large dutch oven or stock pot melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until they start to brown. Add fresh corn and dry polenta and cook while stirring for about 20 minutes or until the polenta is toasted.

2. Add chicken stock, fresh thyme and continue to cook while stirring for 20 minutes longer. Add whipping cream and cook 10 minutes longer until bubbly and thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and continue to stir for an additional 5 minutes until slightly cooled and thickened.

3. Grease 8" or 9" springform pan and pour half of the polenta into the pan and spread evenly. Add 2-1/2 cups Creole sauce to the polenta in the pan and spread evenly. Cover with remaining polenta by spooning it evenly over sauce.

4. Sprinkle 1 1/2cups grated parmesan cheese over polenta and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cool for 30 minutes before unmolding. Serve warm or at room temperature.

8 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks like the perfect weekend brunch dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katia-
    Glad to see you posting again! Hope that means things are setteling down a bit! This looks delicous! Have to wait a bit to have good fresh corn around here but will give it a try when we do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just stumbled upon your blog. I love the clean design and fantastic photos. I am a blogger myself and always thought that design was key and you have certainly captured that! There are so many food blogs out there these days and being different to all the others is key. I have just started www.ifoods.tv which is a website for chefs, foodies and food bloggers to hand out, share recipes, photos and videos. When i was blogging I always thought i should be getting more traffic as my blog was getting lost in the masses of stuff out there so my new site is aimed at giving food bloggers and chefs a bigger platform! Hope you enjoy it and keep up the good writing and design here! I have now bookmarked you so will be regular reader, Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. made it. big hit with the wife and father in-law. although I have never been able to bake polenta without it coming out like mush. maybe I used too much creole sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always have the most inventive recipes! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The right casserole can be very good -and they're so easy to serve up. This sure does look like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katia!

    I was so happy to hear from you. I changed my blog, because my students and clients were finding my blog before the website. And to have them read boy trauma amongst cheese reco's was too much, girl.

    www.fernflat.blogspot.com

    Oh how I wish we were taking you on your offfer of a summer barbecue. Hope all is well and sweet and kind in your world.

    xoxo, melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...