Sunday, April 6, 2008

Afternoon Tea Sandwiches- Dilled Shrimp and Cucumber, De Puy Lentil and Chevre, Smoked Salmon with Quail Eggs


This is the second post of a series on afternoon tea sandwiches. It's taken me a little longer than I expected to post about them because I have been insanely busy, but alas here they are. These little dainties are part of an event I catered this week, a Sip and See for a precious little bebe. I had a wonderful client with who requested dainty food for 50 ladies for the afternoon affair. J., my client was wonderful to work for. I realized in the first five minutes of our first meeting, I had met my match when it came to control issues and an overwhelming desire to strive for perfection. This is not something that happens to me very often, most people tend to be a lot more laid back. The party was beautiful and J. was very happy and appreciative with the result which gave me immense satisfaction. Having a client like her made me step up to the plate and do my job better.

When making sandwiches I don't really measure out ingredients, I tend to just make things up as I go along. So instead of writing a recipe, I'll just make a list of what went into everything. The photos are not the best, since taking them was more of an after thought once all the food was plated, but they give a general idea. I vary the shapes and breads I use to make the food more interesting, improvise with whatever breads you like and have available.




Smoked Salmon Sandwiches

Smoked salmon
pumpernickel bread
cream cheese, softened
capers
thinly sliced red onion
boiled quail eggs, peeled and quartered
freshly cracked black pepper

Dilled Shrimp and Cucumber sandwiches

white bread cut into circles with a cookie cutter
thinly sliced English cucumber
the creme fraiche spread recipe can be found here
boiled shrimp, (20-25 count- size) sliced in half
fresh dill for garnish

De Puy Lentil and Chevre Sandwiches

French De Puy lentils boiled in chicken broth seasoned with a little cumin, salt and pepper and cooked until just tender, approximately 15-20 minutes
Softened Chevre
red bell pepper strips
white bread

3 comments:

  1. The little chevre and lentil sandwiches are so unusual and beautiful -- I will have to borrow this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! Love the lentil and chevre...very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds awesome. I'm a big fan of shrimp. And, speaking as a single woman, I think men who can cook are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...