Saturday, March 21, 2009

RECIPE: Southern Caramel Cake Icing

 Finally- Caramel cake conquered!  My last post,  yielded a couple of recipes- Thank you!  Today I set out to make the cake, I made the icing substituting cream for the half and half.  Half and half... not so fond of it- I much prefer heavy whipping cream, sorry I love fat.  Proportions were perfect though, I stirred the sugar and cream mixture to 238 degrees- soft ball stage.  The icing thickened up perfectly during cooling, it is a little time consuming- an hour's worth of stirring over the stove.  But, I will say- worth every single stroke, I licked the spoon and pot clean (yes, I know I have a problem).  The icing is perfect- the true test will come when I try to make this mid-summer in 100% humidity, but for now I'm happy and I'll worry about that in June.


Caramel Icing

3 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a heavy pot combine sugar and cream and cook over low heat while stirring occasionally until mixture reaches soft ball stage- 238 degrees. (about 30 minutes)

Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla and stir an additional 20-30 minutes or until thick enough to spread on cake.  I used my favorite 2 layer yellow cake, baked it in 8" pans and had just enough icing to cover and fill the cake.  

Store cake covered at room temperature.

I'll post a photo soon- 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...